Blog 6

Thursday, January 21 2016

Today we got up at 4am so we could shower and pack our bags and then leave to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat. It is the cool thing to do because there were a few thousand people there with us. Not ideal. Everyone is jockeying for position, and the short people lose if they get there late! The whole idea is to get a picture as the sun comes up behind the temple and the sun and shadow reflects off the pond in front of the temple. it is quite pretty and a simple google of “Angkor Wat sunrise” will yield some nice shots. We did get some nice pictures but due to the haze it wasn’t perfect.

Angkor Wat sunrise around 6:30 am Siem Reap Cambodia
Angkor Wat sunrise around 6:30 am Siem Reap Cambodia

We rode in an open tuk tuk at 5 am and wore only a light shirt and longer shorts. The early morning temperature was 25C. After we were done with that about 6:30 am (yes 1 1/2 hours standing in the dark) we got back to our tuk tuk meeting spot and made our way back to the hotel. We had a great final breakfast and visit with Marco.


Linda's breakfast!
Linda’s breakfast!


Gary's Breakfast



Once we were all done it was off to the airport for our flight to Bangkok.


Check in line at Siem Reap airport
Check in line at Siem Reap airport


Gary got many questions about his CPAP from the security guy. Mostly he was worried about if there was a battery inside. He had to take extra checks on Gary’s passport too. We’re not sure what exactly was going on. The one hour flight was fast and rough on take off and landing. It seems that going through the the transition between the hot air near the ground and cumulus clouds above makes for a bumpy ride. The girl we visited with from Vancouver at the sunrise said it was very rough flying later in the day, once the daytime heating created more convection and clouds.

We breezed through customs on our arrival in Thailand and while at the airport we got a SIM card for the cell phone. We paid 700 Thai Baht for a cab to the Ramada DMA Bangkok where we are staying. Of course an extra 70 Baht for the toll road which was optional saved us precious minutes. We could see grid lock on the regular road.

We checked in and rested a few minutes and then went shopping for something to do and get aquatinted with the neighbourhood. We walked about 2 1/2 km total. We visited an electronics mall similar to the one we found in Hong Kong a few years ago. They have everything! Problem is we have no room in our small luggage! We bought a beer and drank it on the street. We also bought some fruit along the way and finally ate at a restaurant. Pad Thai one with and one without shrimp. It was very good!

We returned to our hotel and wrote up this blog and rinsed out a few clothes. We decided that they need to see a laundry to get the red dirt out of them. Cambodian dirt is red and it sticks to everything.

Did I mention the bed here in Bangkok is rock hard? Much harder than we had in Siem Reap!

Tomorrow we are going to check out the Grand Palace and maybe a river tour.

Please check back on this blog page later for some pictures. It’s not that late but we were up at 4 am and we are both starting to fade fast.




Post navigation

  3 comments for “Blog 6

  1. Rita
    January 22, 2016 at 2:39 pm

    our comment is awaiting moderation.

    Makes me tired…you guys will be beat when you get home. Hope Linda has a day to recoup!

  2. Carol
    January 29, 2016 at 8:46 am

    I’m thoroughly enjoying my “armchair” travelling through you both! Your writings make me feel like I’m travelling with you! 🙂 Enjoy & stay safe!

    • Gary and Linda
      January 29, 2016 at 10:07 pm

      Thanks Carol. We’re having a great trip so far! Hope all is well there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *